Every beginner baker should definitely try this recipe. It is a basic cupcake recipe which you can dress up with raisins, chocolate chips etc. You could even leave it plain and it’s still yummy!
This is the absolute FIRST cupcake recipe I tried once I started baking. It is a basic recipe which you then decide how you want to play up. Us? CHOCOLATE CHIPS. They get thrown into everything here. You could also use raisins, cranberries or craisins. Great for kids to snack on. The ingredients used are the usual suspects: butter (at room temperature), eggs, self raising flour, plain milk, salt and of course vanilla essence.
I learnt pretty fast once I started baking that the butter must be at room temperature always. So I usually just remove it around 20-30 mins prior from fridge. Also the first step to pretty much most cupcake bakes, are creaming the butter and sugar together.
You can use a hand held or stand mixer. I alternate between either. But be sure both ingredients have been mixed well and have combined well. Next I add in the eggs one by one and also I break the eggs in a separate bowl first (as I tend to get some shell in the egg – not good at breaking eggs) before adding into the mixing bowl. Also add in the vanilla essence here for that yummy vanilla scent and flavour.
From here I add in the milk and the dry ingredients ie.self raising flour and salt.
Annnndddd you’re done. Here is where you mix in whatever you want to add in. We added chocolate chips. The batter is easy to scoop out onto your cupcake liners. Start with two tablespoons of batter in each then kinda divide up the rest among the 12. Also extra chocolate chips on top because ….for no reason.
I also learnt as a novice baker that everyone’s oven is DIFFERENT in terms of timing and temperature. For my oven, I bake these babies in a pre-heated oven at 170C for around 15 minutes. Do check by inserting tester or toothpick. If you think they need bit more time, just allow for 2 mins then test again. Remove and let them stay in the pan for 5 mins then you can transfer them out to cool completely.
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Super Simple Vanilla Cupcakes
- 125 g butter At room temperature
- 170 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 180 g self raising flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Using a mixer, combine butter and sugar till mixed well. Add in eggs one by one and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add in milk and flour + salt and mix. Add in either chocolate chips or raisins (if preferred) and mix batter using a spatula.
- Scoop into cupcake liners. Start with 2 tablespoons of batter then divide the rest among the 12.Top with extra chocolate chips or raisins.
- Bake in oven for 15 mins. Remove and let cool in pan.
- Be sure butter and eggs are at room temperature.
- Use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl from time to time.
- Every oven is different, so please adjust temp and timing based on your oven.