So we all know that you can pretty much throw anything into fried rice right. But this is kinda a special fried rice. I plan this when I have lap cheong (bought for making this) and when I have prawns. It’s really a special marriage – prawns and lap cheong. Let’s talk about the lap cheong first. Also known as Chinese Sausage. It usually is sold in vacuum pack of 4 or 6. I soak them in hot water so the crinkly skin will kinda lift off and I can then tear it off then only do I slice.
I like to cube the lap cheong or dice them up. I also buy the prepacked frozen prawns which are peeled. In my fried rice I only like grated carrot as the veg. No big pieces of vege for me in fried rice at least. I’ve noticed this is how I like it. And of course eggs. This is a MUST in fried rice. Here are all the ingredients I use.
The sauce is a combination of light soya sauce, fish sauce and white pepper. After heating up some oil, I throw in the onions and garlic, then lap cheong. I use only one piece in this recipe but you could use two pieces if you prefer.
Ahhh the egg. I USED to fry the egg separately like a scrambled version and then mix it into my fried rice right at the END.
NO. Not anymore. We do it together gether now. Trust me, it flavours the rice as we cook. Push ingredients to one side, add some oil at base and pour in egg. Let it lightly set then toss around.
Then in go the prawns and tossed around till pink. Remember, you don’t have to cook prawns long which is why I toss them in towards the end.
Be sure your rice is free from clumps so you don’t have to break them up as you’re frying. You want them loose so they can soak up the sauce and combine well with other ingredients. Add in sauce and grated carrot too with the rice and TOSS, TOSS, TOSS.
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Fried Rice with Prawns & Lap Cheong
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 eggs lightly whisked into a bowl
- 1 medium sized carrot grated
- 1 lap cheong diced you can use two if you wish. Soak in hot water until the 'skin' lifts off. Remove the skin.
- 200 g prawns
- 2.5 cups leftover rice break up rice so no clumps
Mix in bowl:
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Add 2 tbsp oil into wok. When heated add in onions and fry. Let onions softened then add in garlic and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add in lap cheong and fry for about a minute. Push all ingredients onto the side of the wok. Add in some oil at the base and pour in egg.
- Season egg with pinch of salt and let it set for a bit. Toss and break up egg after a while and add in prawns. Cook until they turn pink.
- Add in rice, pour sauce around the rice and add in grated carrot. Give everything a mix until well combined. Serve with a side of cut chilli.
Like the sweet and savory flavors of lap cheong in the fried rice
Yes! It goes so well in fried rice:)