An easy recipe to follow and you’ll be suprised how fast it is to get everything done and how fast they come out of the oven too!
I’ve tried baking cookies on and off but will admit I’ve had more success with cupcakes. I find baking cookies pretty tricky as they don’t always come out looking the way I like (not evenly browned/too brown) or having the right texture (too crispy/too soft)…you get the idea. SO when I do find a recipe that works, I tend to guard it.
With cookies, texture is important and everyone has their preference. Chewy, soft, crispy crunchy.
So these cookies are Team : Crunchy on top (most so when eaten on day of baking) and a nice soft inside.
This recipe is nothing fancy but very easy. You start with creaming some melted butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a mixer.
Mix in the egg and vanilla essence just briefly. LIke 15 seconds. Then add in the flour mix and combine all together with a mixer.
Don’t overmix the two. Now the part about the chocolate chips. Just put them in! In hindsight, I could have added more. Just use your hands to combine the chips with the dough or use the spatula. I feel like I was a bit stingy with them. So please add as much as you want, then add some more!
The dough was fairly easy to work with. It was somewhere between ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ dough. Meaning I could easily shape them into balls. I ONLY place 9 on a tray at a time spaced nicely apart. I also added more chocolate chips on the top of the dough ball (but again felt like I could’ve added more). The chocolate chips I buy have a pointy top so I stick that part in the dough and leave the flat side on the outside.
I put these into the oven for 11 minutes at 170C on the lower rack. You may rotate the baking tray halfway thru.
Warning: take them out even if they look ‘pale’ or ‘soft’ – they will continue to cook once out. Once they are cooled, you will see they would have firmed up!
I found the original recipe here.
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 113 g melter butter I just zap the room temperatture butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds and stir till melted.
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Mix in a separate bowl
- 180 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 170C.
- Cream melted butter, caster sugar and brown sugar till nicely combined. Add in egg and vanilla essence. Beat for further 15 seconds.
- Add in flour mix and beat. Add in chocolate chips and use hand to mix with dough or a spatula.
- Roll out 9 balls at a time onto cooking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook for 9-11 minutes in the lower rack, turning tray halfway thru.Remove cookies tho they might look pale/undercooked. They will continue to firm up when cooling. Be PATIENT!
- Add more chocolate chips! Once you roll them out, add a few more on top.
- Don't panic, if you find them a bit pale or soft once the baking time is over, it will continue to cook while cooling down. Once the first batch is out, let it cool - transfer to a wire rack, then do the 2nd batch.