If you’re a beginner baker, this is the recipe to try and master. It’s easy. Then take them to every party, pot luck, dinner gathering and trust me..it will be such a hit!
The first time I baked brownies, it was a disaster only because I used a wrong-sized cake pan. It was too small and not deep enough and so the brownie batter did not cook in the middle resulting in a gooey ooey mess. So be sure to have the right sized pan. The one I have is 21 x 21cm.
Start by planning ahead and taking out the butter, dark chocolate and eggs from the fridge at least half hour prior to baking. Once ready, start by melting the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat.
I use a double boiler (from Ikea). I set it above a saucepan of simmering water and melt the ingredients in it. But use a saucepan and it’s fine.
Once melted, remove and set aside.
Then you want to pour this mixture into a mixing bowl with the sugar.
Mix this through. Then add in eggs one by one (and mix) followed by the vanilla essence.
Lastly add in flour (and nuts if using) and stir. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Pour into cake pan lined with baking paper. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170C for 35-45 minutes. I bake mine for about 40 mins.
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
- Mixing bowl
To be melted together:
- 125 g salted butter At room temperature.
- 200 g dark chocolate At room temperature. The quality of chocolate is important. I find Cadbury Baking Dark Chocolate to be awesome.
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs Remove from fridge prior to baking.
- 160 g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g Macademia Nuts Chopped roughly
- Pre-heat oven at 170C.
- Line a square cake pan with baking paper. The paper can be used as handles to lift the brownie out of the pan.
- Place butter and chocolate (best to break apart the chocolate) in a saucepan over very low heat and stir frequently until melted. Remove pan from heat once done.
- Place sugar in mixing bowl. Pour in the chocolate & butter mixture and stir.
- Add in eggs one by one and mix. Add in vanilla essence.
- Add in flour and nuts if using. Stir but don't overmix.
- Transfer to baking pan and spread evenly with spatula or back of spoon.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Insert toothpick to check for done-ness. If you see a thin chocolate covered coating - that's fine. If you see runny batter it needs to cook more.
- I bake my brownies for 35-40 mins. Every oven is different so please experiment what timing works for you.
- Remove butter, chocolate and eggs from fridge at least 30mins before baking.
- Be sure your cake pan is of the right size.
- Use GOOD quality dark chocolate. Good luck!