A homey dish made up of flavourful minced pork cooked with potato and carrots and a hidden sauce which brings it all together. Cook some rice to go with it and dinner is done!
This dish can be made using pantry staples and is easy to prep for. Marinate the pork just before cooking and you’re good to go. Please excuse my potato chopping skills!
We like the potato and carrot cubed not sliced. I think it’s just easier with young kids. The potato should be golden and cooked thru while the carrots should be tender but firm to the bite. First in go the potatoes…
…then the carrots.
As carrots are cooking, we add in the minced pork. We spread it out but don’t toss it so that it can get nicely charred as the bottom and edges make contact with the hot pan. Then we add in the sauce and some water and toss everything together. Cook for around 10 mins and turn off heat. Try it especially if you have young kids!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Braised Minced Pork with Potato and Carrot
- 350 g minced pork
- 1 potato cubed - I use Russet potato.
- 1 carrot cubed
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
Marinate the pork mince with:
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- Pinch of white pepper
Mix sauce in a bowl:
- 2 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Pour a thin layer of oil in a wok/pan enough to cover the base.
- When heated, add in potatoes and just leave it for a few minutes to cook. After 5 minutes or so toss over and continue frying for another 2-3 minutes. You want it nicely golden brown.
- Add in carrots and cook for a few minutes. Don't overcook we still want some bite.
- Add in garlic and pork and spread pork out. Don't toss it around yet. Let it just sit in the hot wok/pan till it fries off nicely at the bottom. Once you see some charred edges around the pork (after maybe 5 mins) add the sauce and half cup water and toss everything together.
- Cook for 5 mins allowing the pork mince to soak in all the sauce. Take off heat. DONE. Dish out together with some white rice and eat warm.
- We want the potato cubed - easy for the young ones to eat.
- We want the carrot still firm to the bite.
- We want the pork nicely charred then the sauce mixed in and cooked further.