Carrot cake fans – this one is especially for you! Made into muffins (instead of whole cake) – enjoy them as a breakfast treat, pop them into your kids’ snack box or just share them because they are super delish!
Growing up, carrot cake was just ok for me. It didn’t have the allure of a chocolate cake nor did it have the prestige of a cheese cake. It was alright.
However I’ve come to appreciate it the most honestly once I started baking these muffins. For some reason, they just enhanced my appreciation for the cake. Maybe because it’s a muffin sized cake now – plus it helps that I can pop them into my kids’ snack box!
I use one whole carrot for this recipe and grate it using my box grater. I also add in some toasted walnuts – you could use your favourite type but I would recommend walnuts or almond strips . I start by sifting some plain flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. I don’t use nutmeg (which is common in other recipes simply because it’s not a staple in my pantry).
I then add in the grated carrot and nuts. Mix everything.
In a separate bowl, I use a whisk (better than fork for this purpose) and mix in some canola oil and sugar. Then I add in 2 eggs one by one and mix till all combined. I then tip this mixture into the bowl with the flour mix and combine well using a spatula.
I spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin hole and bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 mins. I love the almost caramelised like taste I get and crunch of the nuts with the carrot taste blending in oh so well with everything else.
As like always, I don’t frost my muffins/ cupcakes. But of course carrot cake goes really good with cream cheese frosting. You can google a simple recipe for the frosting and frost each muffin. You would typically need cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence.
So there you go! Carrot cake made into muffins! Do let me know if you give it a go. You can click on more baking recipes here to find some inspiration to start baking. I would strongly recommend this oat cookie recipe, if you’re stuck on what to try.
I just made a nutella cupcake which I hope to share the recipe here soon too.
*This carrot cake muffin recipe was featured on makchic.com. It’s a great recipe to make with your super young kids because there is no big bulky mixer invovled, everything is measured in a cup and they get to munch on carrots in the process!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Sunflower oil or Canola Oil (Cooking oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cup Carrot, shredded I use 1 whole carrot
- 1/2 cup walnuts / almond strips toasted
- Preheat oven to180C.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add in the carrot and walnuts.
- In a separate bowl, using a whisk, mix the sugar and oil till evenly mixed. Whisk in the eggs one by one.
- Tip in the egg mixture to mix with the flour mixture. Combine with a spatula. Spoon out about 2 tbsp of batter into each muffin hole. Bake for 18-20mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Every oven temperature and timing is different so do adjust these based on your type of oven.
- You could even add in raisins and small chopped pieces of pineapple to the mix (1/4 cup of each).
- You could toast the nuts in an oven or an air fryer.
- If you insist on frosting it (!!), just google a simple recipe on cream cheese frosting usually made up of cream cheese, butter, vanilla essence and icing sugar.
- These go great in a snack box or for a simple breakfast on the go!