My go to recipe when I need a simple vegetarian noodle meal either for just me or the family. With the right texture noodle and minimal seasonings – this recipe works like a charm for us!
Sometime in July 2021, I went on a ten day meatless fast. There were many meals I enjoyed eating during this time (really!) but the one that was a real keeper for me was this recipe. I still make this today but pair it with some air fried chicken chops or baked chicken wings for the family.
Let’s talk noodle first. There are MANY brands of dried noodles in the supermarket aisles. The one I used for this recipe was Guan Miau Noodles (Thin). I’ve tried it in soups too and we love it. The texture is just right and works well absoring all the flavours when stir frying. You do need to loosen it in simmering water then it’s ready to be used in the stir fry.
Now comes the sauce. Shockingly it only takes some sugar, light soya sauce and sesame oil to create the flavours that will be soaked up by the noodles. A humble dish indeed.
I start by sauteeing, a small amount of shallots, ginger and garlic. These are the aromatics that will start the incredible flavours that are to come. To this, I add in the grated carrot and fresh baby spinach. I allow the carrot to soften and spinach to wilt. It won’t take long.
Next in goes the noodles that have been softened and the sauce. Use a pair of kitchen tongs and toss the noodles thru allowing it to mix well with the veggies and soak the sauce. Lastly add in the air fried tofu cubes and done. Serve immediately!
On different occasions, I’ve served this with either just sliced omelette or with air fried chicken chops as pictured below. It is a great ‘base’ recipe which you can add on anything into. Hope you give this one a go!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Vegetarian Noodle Stir Fry
- 200 g Dried Noodles I used the Guan Miau Noodles (Thin) brand.
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Small piece ginger minced
- 1 carrot grated
- Handful Baby Spinach can sub with your veggie of choice
- 2 pieces of firm tofu
Mix in bowl:
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cube the tofu, pat dry and air fry for 5 mins at 180C. Set aside. You can also shallow fry them.
- In a pot of simmering water, loosen the dried noodles and set aside.
- In a pan with some oil, sautee the shallot, ginger and garlic for half a minute. Add in carrot and spinach - allow to soften and wilt. Add in noodles and sauce. Use tongs to toss and combine everything together. Add in air fried tofu cubes. Serve immediately.
- This dish is best served right after cooking. Otherwise, the noodles may become dry.
- To soften noodles, first read packet instrutions. For this brand, I just need to chuck it in some simmering water for a short amount of time. Use a tong to gently pull apart until all are loosened.
- Adjust seasonings according to amount of noodles cooked. Also, veggies can be subbed with your favourites like thinly sliced capsicum, sawi, pak choy etc.
- Serve with a side of cut chilli. Also add on some sides like omelettes, air fried pork or chicken chops! YUMS!