Seriously one of our all time favourite loaf cakes. Very light with a lemony twist. When you want to include more non-chocolate cakes or treats into your kids meals’ – this is the one to try!
I had bookmarked this recipe years back because I was trying to use up some Greek Yogurt. At that point I had never used Greek Yogurt in my bakes. Then I tried this recipe. Guys, it is good. It is the star ingredient in this recipe for sure in addition to lemon. The original recipe here does not call for lemon juice and lemon zest. But I added it in once (yes trying to use up a lemon) and there has been no turning back.
We start by mixing the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a mixer. Scrap down the sides on and off to ensure it mixes well.
From here add in the eggs one by one and the vanilla essence. I am really bad at cracking eggs, so I break them into another bowl first and check for shells before pouring it in.
From here, I stir in the yogurt and lemon zest with the lemon juice too.
Then I add in the flour + baking soda + salt mix. Pour in the batter into a greased and lined loaf tin and it’s ready for the oven.
The lemon really takes this cake to the next level. Enjoy it warm or at room temp. Try the recipe!
Greek Yogurt Vanilla Pound Cake
- 113 g butter At room temp
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon remove zest and reserve 2 tsp lemon juice
Combine in a bowl
- 240 g plain flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Combine softened butter and sugar in mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat.
- Add in eggs one by one and vanilla essence. Scrap down sides to ensure proper mixing.
- Add in greek yogurt and lemon zest and juice. Mix with spatula.
- Add in flour mix and slowly beat till all combined. Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake for 45mins - 1 hour. I bake this cake for 50 mins. Each oven is different so do adjust timing accordingly. Remove and let cool in pan before slicing.
- Bring the butter and eggs to room temperature before beginning to bake.
- You could also use sour cream in replacement of greek yogurt if preferred.
- You could totally leave out the lemon as per the original recipe however my version includes the lemon.