Hear ye hear ye…if it’s your FIRST time ever baking a cake. An actual full-sized cake – this IS the recipe to try. Just 5 ingredients.
Edit: The temperature used to bake this cake in my oven is 160C. HOWEVER your oven may need a higher temperature eg. 170C or 180C. As every oven is different do adjust accordingly.
Back when I use to share my recipes on blogspot- this was my MOST viewed recipe and also the one with the most comments. Many readers tried it and loved it. They found it a simple enough cake to bake with delicious results. Since then I have reduced the amount of sugar and SO happy to find it’s even better tasting this way.
As usual, most of my bakes I don’t frost or add any type of icing and we eat them just like how they come out of the oven. You ONLY need FIVE ingredients. Most of it are pantry staples and then there are the oranges. You start by creaming the butter, sugar and orange rind using a mixer.
Once it’s nice and combined, add in the eggs one by one. I usually break the egg in a separate bowl and check for stuff before adding into the mixer. This is just me…as I tend to get shells in the eggs.
Once you’ve added in all the eggs, add in the self raising flour and orange juice. Be sure to mix everything until well combined. Tip: Be sure to use a spatula and scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl from time to time.
Pour out batter into a cake pan (mine measures around 24cm) lined with baking paper. Bake in oven for 50 minutes. The aroma wafting thru your home as the cake sits and bakes in the oven is unbelievable. I also love the tiny specks of orange rinds found thru the batter.
This recipe is great for those who want to try baking a simple enough cake as they begin their baking journey. Also for those who just want a great Orange Butter Cake!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Easy Orange Butter Cake
- 250 g butter, softened and brought to room temperature
- 280 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp orange rind grate about 3 oranges. Extra rind can be used to deco the cake
- 180 ml orange juice Juice about 4 oranges. Extra juice - just drink.
- Pre-heat oven to 160C. <Your oven may need a higher temperature of 170C or 180C - do adjust accordingly. >
- Use a mixer to cream butter, sugar and orange rind. Remember the butter should be at room temperature.
- Add in eggs one by one and continue to mix.
- Add in sifted flour and orange juice. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 50mins - 1 hr 10 mins. I bake mine for 50 mins.