A favourite dinner of ours on rotation here. I especially like that everything (protein + veg) is cooked at one go, with a sticky black pepper sauce which pairs so well with white rice. Did I mention the crunchy cashews thrown in at the end?
I use chicken breast for this recipe. I cut them bite sized (marinate and set aside in a bowl) and chop up some broccoli as well. I also slice an onion. I use my saucepan as opposed to a wok when making this.
This chicken is marinated with soya sauce + corn flour. The corn flour will give the chicken pieces a smooth velvety texture which is so so good when eaten together with the broccoli and the sauce.
In a saucepan with some oil, once heated, I add in the sliced onions and sautee until soft. I then add in the broccoli. Just about a minute later, I push the broccoli to the side and add a dash more oil and add in chicken. I spread out the chicken and leave it for about 8-10 mins on a medium heat.
Once chicken is brown and charred at the bottom, toss chicken and broccoli around till fully cooked. This is when you add the sauce in and toss toss toss. Be sure to scrape off any brown bits at the bottom of the pan and toss with. Add just a bit of water if you would like more sauce.
The Sauce is made up of pantry staples like black pepper, oyster sauce etc. If cooking for young kids, you can lessen the amount of black pepper used.
While the chicken is cooking – I pop in some cashews into my Airfryer @180C for 3 mins to air fry. This is the crunch factor which will take this dish to the next level.
It may not look like it, but there is some super flavourful sauce lurking underneath. Scoop this out onto the rice together with the chicken, broccoli and cashews. I hope you try this dish and let me know. It sure is a weeknight favourite here!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Chicken & Broccoli Black Pepper Stir Fry
- 600 g chicken breast Cut bite sized
Marinate chicken with below and set aside:
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp corn flour
In a small bowl mix together:
- 1-1.5 tsp course black pepper
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 broccoli Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Handful cashew nuts Toasted in Airfryer 180C for 3 mins.
- In a wok or saucepan ( I use a saucepan), add in some oil and once heated add in onions. Saute until onion is soft.Add in broccoli and fry. About a minute later, push broccoli to the side (broccoli will continue to cook once chicken is added), add in bit more oil and add in chicken. Spread chicken out and leave to cook for 8-10 mins. Do not toss or touch chicken during this time. Let the bottom of the chicken nicely cook and char.
- Once brown and charred at the bottom, toss chicken and broccoli around till fully cooked. Add sauce and toss toss toss. Add a bit of water if you want more sauce.
- Scrape off any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan and mix in. Add cashews. Done.
- Try not to leave out the cashews, it does add a good nice crunch to the dish but also is optional.
- If cooking for young kids, lessen the amount of black pepper.
- Let chicken nicely char and cook till nicely browned at the bottom.
- Eat warm with rice.