How to Roast Chicken
A short and simple rub is spread all over the chicken, leave it to marinate then pop into oven. Done. See below for my tips on how to prepare the chicken before roasting.
- 1 Whole Chicken Butterflied Ask your butcher to butterfly the chicken.
Combine in small bowl
- 4 cloves garlic crushed Can be subbed with 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil or cooking oil Mix oil with powders to form a paste
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
Place chicken on a large board or dish. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub paste all over chicken front and back. Cover and place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight to marinate.
Remove chicken from fridge at least 30mins - 1 hour to come to room temperature before placing in oven.
Preheat oven to 230C. Place chicken on a wire rack, brush some melted butter and sprinkle additional pinch or so of salt lightly on surface of chicken (no need to rub). Place in oven for 15 minutes. Turn down temp to 200C and continue to roast for 45mins - 1 hour - depending on the weight of the bird.
Check if chicken is cooked - pierce the thickest part of the chicken with a knife - juices should be clear. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10mins. Cut up and serve.
- Make sure your chicken has been defrosted well.
- Pat chicken dry before applying the rub.
- Marinate chicken ahead of time. Flavours will not have developed if you marinate right before roasting.
- Remove chicken from fridge 30mins-1hour before placing in oven.
- Make some slits on thick parts of the chicken for even cooking and for flavours to absorb.
- For a 1.5kg chicken, I place it for 15 mins under 230C (for a nice crisp skin) then lower to 200C for another 45mins- 1hr. Every oven temperature and timing differs. So please check if your chicken is cooked once removed from oven first before slicing. Good luck!
- Shred chicken meat from leftover roasted pieces for sandwiches or wraps. Just toast a wrap with some cheese and place chicken and some greens above. Yum!