This delicious chicken curry uses store bought curry powder and comes together with spices and aromatics simmered gently with chicken pieces to result in a delicious curry!
- 1 chicken (around 1.2-1.5kg) Skin removed and cut into medium pieces. Marinate with 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1 large onion Sliced thinly
- 1 tomato Chopped
- 1 potato cut into cubes/wedges - I use Russet potato
- 1-1.5 tsp salt best to undersalt, then taste if you wish to add more.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
Curry Powder Paste - In a bowl, add in all the powders, add 3/4 cup water and mix.
- 3 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder Adjust to according how spicy you want it.
- 1 tsp garam masala You may leave out if you don't have.
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
Ginger & Garlic Paste - Pound together. Alternatively - you can mince them.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 inch ginger
Heat up 6 tbsp oil. Add in cinnamon stick and cloves. Fry for a minute and add in curry leaves and sliced onions. Fry for 5 mins or so till onions are soft and start to brown at edges.
Add in ginger & garlic paste. Fry for a minute. Add in curry powder paste , mix well and allow paste to boil well for 5 minutes. Add a little more oil if it's too dry. Keep stiring on and off. Add in chicken and mix evently till chicken is well coated with all ingredients. Close lid and leave for 10 mins on a medium-low flame.
Open lid and add 1 cup water and tomatoes and mix. Bring it back to boil and cook for 10 mins with lid closed on medium-low flame.
Open lid and mix. Add in potatoes. Close lid and alllow to continue to boil and cook for further 10 mins. Then add salt. Mix.(If you have some chopped corriader, add in here and mix thru. If you wish to add 2 tablespoons coconut milk, add in here also.) Switch off heat.Tip: Before switching off heat, check if potato is tender and salt is enough.
- TASTE and see if you need more salt.
- Test and see if potatoes are tender before switching off.