An incredibly delicious mutton curry best eaten with rice or roti! I make this by pressure cooking the mutton first.
To Pressure Cook Mutton ( I use a Stove Top Pressure Cooker)
- 1 kg mutton cubes
- 1 cup water Place mutton cubes in pressure cooker. Pour in water. Pressure cook on high for 20 mins. Release pressure. Set aside both mutton and liquid.
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 2 stalks cury leaves
- 6 tbsp oil
- 5 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1-2 tbsp chilli powder Add according to how spicy you like it. I usually keep the curry mild for the kids.
- 1 tsp garam masala Mix powders and some water to form a paste.
- 2 tbsp ginger & garlic paste OR pound 5 cloves garlic with small piece ginger
- 2 tomatoes cubed
- 1 russet potato cut into wedges
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1tsp salt Add according to your taste
After pressure cooking mutton, remove and set aside. IN the same pressure cooker (you don't need to wash it) add some oil and the tempering ingredients. Allow onions to soften and brown about 5 mins.
Add in the ginger & garlic paste. Allow to cook for couple of minutes.
Add in curry paste and cook till oil separates. Add in a little oil to help the process if there is not enough oil.
Add in pressure cooked mutton and liquid and nicely toss everything. Add in tomates and 1 cup water.
On a small boil, allow to cook for 20 mins. Mix and add in potatoes. Continue cooking for 15 -20 mins. Add salt and coconut milk. Taste to see if you wish to add more salt and if potatoes are tender. Be sure meat is tender and to your liking if not continue cooking till it is. Done.
- Be sure the mutton pieces are not too big.
- You can skip pressure cooking the mutton initially however this means you will need to cook it longer on the stovetop.