A great sauce for pasta. Freezes so well. Can be used as a pizza base, in sandwiches, on grilled chicken/fish and more.
- 1.5 cups sweet basil In supermarkets - they sell it in a pack. One pack is suitable for this recipe.
- 2 garlic cloves choose small cloves
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 60g
- 1/4 cup pine nuts Toast in oven for 5 mins @ 150C
- 70 ml good quality olive oil
Put everything except olive oil in food processor and pulse.
While the processor is doing its thing, gradually add in the oil in a thin steady stream until well combined.
Open processor, with a spatula scrap down the sides and continue to pulse until texture is smooth.
Add in a good pinch of salt. Give one last pulse. DONE!
- Wash and dry the basil leaves in a salad spinner. Or just ensure leaves are not too wet.
- Be sure to toast the pine nuts. I do not preheat the oven.
- Don't use too much garlic or olive oil. All this can be overpowering.
- As pine nuts are pricey, there are alternatives. Pumpkin seeds is one of them BUT I've yet to try them. If you have subbed pine nuts for any other nuts with good results, please do let me know!