A simple recipe using ripe bananas resulting in a nice, yummy snack great for kids!
- 125 g butter I almost always use salted butter in my bakes.
- 175 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 large mashed ripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g plain flour sifted
Pre-heat oven to 170C.
Use a mixer and beat butter and sugar till they have combined well.
Add in eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
Mix in mashed bananas.
Add baking soda which has been dissolved in hot milk (just zap the milk in the microwave for 20seconds then stir in baking soda).
Mix in sifted flour and baking powder. Optional: Add in some chocolate chips.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons and a bit more of batter into each cupcake liner. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
Bake for 15-18 mins. It should be lightly golden on top. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.
- Top tip is to remember to bring the butter and eggs to room temperature before baking.
- Remember the key is for the bananas to be very ripe. I had some frozen bananas so I used those. I find they turn wet and soggy if removed from freezer too early so I remove as I start making the batter and later mash and add them in.
- Don't over mix/overbeat the batter.
- To mash bananas - put in bowl and use a fork to mash. Don't overmash leave some lumps in there.
- Instead of chocolate chips, you can also add in some toasted pecans or walnuts.