This recipe was first published in March 2021 and updated in Nov 2022.
I use chicken drumsticks for this recipe only because the resulting rice DOES taste oh so much yummier. The drumsticks are marinated then cooked together with the rice resulting in a chicken rice meal the young ones will definitely enjoy.
We start by marinating the drumsticks (can also use chicken thighs). You will also need to mince or slice up some ginger and garlic. AND the ingredient that takes this to the next level – lap cheong. I usually cube them up. In a hot wok with some oil, add in the ginger, garlic and lap cheong.
I add in the marinated drumsticks into the hot wok – and leave them alone for a bit to get nicely kinda browned. After 5 mins, you can toss them about and brown them all over. The idea is to cook them on the outside.
Meanwhile wash the rice and add suitable amount of water in the rice cooker. Add in the sauces (See recipe below) and all ingredients from the wok. Crumble in a stock cube and mix. Switch on rice cooker and wait till cooked. Once done, switch off and let stand for 10 mins. Before serving, mix everything togehter and enjoy!
You can serve this with sliced cucumbers or a side of yau mak. For the adults, some sliced cili padi if prefered. Good luck!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Rice Cooker Drumstick Chicken Rice
- Rice Cooker
(A) Marinate 4 chicken drumsticks or 600g chopped chicken thighs with
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Dash of white pepper
(B) In a bowl mix the following
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Dash of white pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Couple slices of ginger
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 lap cheong cubed special ingredient!
- 2 - 2.5 cups rice washed and drained
- Heat oil in a wok. When hot add in ginger and lap cheong. Fry for a few mins. Then add garlic.
- Add in (A). Let it sit in wok for 5 mins. Then turn over pieces till browned on outside. (Half cook it). Switch off.
- Meanwhile, wash rice and place into rice cooker. Add in suitable amount of water. Add in (B). Add in all ingredients from the wok and give the rice a good mix. Crumble in a stock cube.
- Switch on rice cooker to cook. Once done let sit for 10 mins then serve. Be sure to mix all the chicken with the rice then scoop out. If serving kids, scoop out rice and let it cool for bit. Cause it's HOT HOT HOT.
- You may increase amount of rice and drumsticks/chicken thigh pieces depending on number of persons but do adjust the seasonings.
- The lap cheong can be omitted but it does add extra flavour.
Hi dear! It’s been a long time 🙂 Sooo happy to hear from you, thanks for popping by to say hi!
I love rice cooker recipes, both practical & delish. Drumsticks are my favourite too, more tender and juicy :)~~
Yes drumsticks are the best – the flavour they impart to the rice is phenomenal:)
Tried this for a quick Fri night dinner and it was AWESOME! Easy and super tasty. The family loved every bit of it!
Great to hear that! Kids usually love the chicken + rice combo.
Thanks for dropping by my website too! Great to hear from you.
This rice-cooker chicken rice is going to be more flavorful because you pre-fried everything in the wok first before cooking it in rice-cooker. The lazy me would have dump everything straight into the rice cooker to cook :O
Yes that’s a great alternative! I used to do that – but once I tried it this way – there was no turning back!