My Phillips air fryer has been with me for about 8 years now. I bought it before I had kids but I find it more useful now that I have kids. I use it to ‘fry’ my ikan bilis and peanuts when making nasi lemak, fry up some frozen nuggets, fry keropok and the one the kids appreciate most I believe is using them to make fries.
It’s a simple process but there are some tiny tips which will help get you crispy fries. Welcome to the world of frying fries with 1 tbsp of oil. Soaking the fries is essential. I soak them in cold water. I also use Russet potatoes.
After the soaking, comes the drying – which is even more essential! You want the potato slices to be dry to result in nicely air fried fries. I use a tea towel to dry them up. I find using kitchen paper is not only wasting paper but it doesn’t do a great job. I have many tea towels so I just use them.
I also like to pre-heat my air fryer before the potatoes go in. So at this point of drying, I just switch on my fryer to about 5/6 mins at 180C.
Once I dry them and go on to next step the air fryer is nicely heated and this will help with ‘frying’ the fries nicely.
Coat them with oil before popping into the air fryer. Be sure every potato slice is nicely coated with the oil.
Bring out that bottle of tomato sauce and in a bit, call the kids to the table.
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
How to Make Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 1 Russet Potato
- Pre heat air fryer at 180C for 5mins.
- Peel and slice potatoes into desired thickness. I have sliced them thicker than the usual fries.
- Soak them in cold water for at least 30mins.
- Drain fries and dry them. Use a tea towel and pat dry.
- Pour around 1tbsp of oil onto fries and using fingers coat each fry well with the oil.
- Add into air fryer and by 15-20 mins it's DONE. Shake basket in between.
- Salt well and EAT HOT.
- Drying the potatoes well are important. I find using a tea towel is much more effective than kitchen paper.
- Pre heating the fryer ensures the fries crisp up better.
- After 15 min mark, check on fries and decide if you want it to fry for another 5 mins.