A quick nourshing soup I whip up ESPECIALLY but not neccesarily when we’re feeling under the weather. I like the simmering part which results in tender fall-off-the-bone chicken pieces. It’s great for kids to have with rice or toast when they are unwell or just wonderful to have on a cool rainy night.
This is my go to chicken soup recipe. Nothing fancy to be honest just simple ingredients which result in a nice hot bowl of chicken soup. I use bite sized pieces of chicken thigh. You could use other parts too of course.
Other ingredients inculde carrots, potatoes, sliced yellow onion and half a stock cube. Some coriander for garnish (can be omitted).
I usually use about 800g-1kg of chicken thigh. 1 potato (not pictured), 1 carrot and 1/2 a big onion. I like to wash and cut away the skin (fat) of the chicken if there is. I also lightly salt the chicken pieces first.
I use a medium sized pot. I usually don’t use this pot to cook (thanks to my 16 year-old wok and Tefal non stick saucepans) but it’s SO ideal to make my soup. I pour in some oil and in go the sliced yellow onions. I make sure I cook them till nice and soft.
I then add in the chicken pieces and leave them to brown on the outside first (before I toss toss). I prefer to cook them on the outside first before adding the water.
After a while I toss the pieces around and make sure the outside is browned then add water to cover the chicken. I don’t measure the water, but just pour till chicken is covered.
Once water is boiling, I lower the flame to a SIMMER. I don’t cover the pot, but just let it cook for 30-40mins. I completely just leave it and let the pieces slowly cook to a tender bite. I then add in the carrots and potatoes. Increase flame to get it boiling again and then lower to simmer for remaining 15mins. Sometimes I skim off any ‘froth’ on top of the soup while it is cooking.
I add half a piece of stock cube crumbled and give it a mix ( you can add salt if preferred). Switch off flame, stir and garnish right before serving. It’s really yums with rice as a side or main meal. Hope you try it out!
Did you try this recipe?
Please do let me know if you've tried it, by leaving a comment or tagging me on IG @thesuddencook.
Easy Chicken Soup
- 800g-1 kg chicken thighs cut bite sized Washed, trim off skin/fat and lightly salt the pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 carrot cut into chunks
- 1 potato cut into chunks
- 1/2 piece chicken stock cube can sub with salt if preferred
- Add in some oil in a medium/large pot. In go the sliced onions. Cook for a few minutes till onions are nice and soft.
- Add in chicken pieces. Don't toss yet. Allow to brown off then toss around till outside is cooked. Pour water into pot till chicken pieces are covered.
- Once boiling, turn flame down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 40mins uncovered.
- Add in potatoes and carrots. Increase flame till boiling again, then turn down and simmer for 15 mins. Crumble in stock cube and give it a mix. Garnish right before serving. Ladle into bowls.
- I find chicken thighs highly flavourful for these kinds of recipes.
- Remove any skin/fat from chicken pieces and lightly salt before placing into pot to cook. Brown them on the outside first before adding water.
- You may use salt in place of stock cube.
I loved how easy and simple this recipe was. Thanks for a great meal.
You can never go wrong with a soup recipe and chicken soup is perfect for combating spring allergies! This looks delicious!
Yes….so easy as it says!